Ann K. Kotze
For Ann, a career in intellectual property law is the perfect marriage of science, research and strategy – a combination that she and the Green Griffith team use to their advantage when offering clients advice and counsel.
Ann specializes in patent litigation relating to pharmaceutical, chemical and biochemical products. She has particular experience in patent litigation and counseling under the Hatch‐Waxman Act, and has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in shaping and executing successful litigation strategies. Ann is also skilled in representing parties in inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Her practice is focused on fostering long-term relationships with clients, allowing a full understanding of their strengths and challenges. “With a deep, thorough understanding of both the business and science, you can better lean in to the subject matter and develop the case strategy for the client,” Ann says.
“The strength that we offer as a firm is the ability to drill down to reach the client’s business goal,” Ann says. “We’re highly fluent in the science and the language of the client – that makes us better able to understand how they’re defining success. And once we understand their goal, we can help them achieve it by translating it into a legal strategy.”
Ann is active in pro bono matters, including volunteering for the Pro Se Litigants’ Settlement Assistance Program of the Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights.
Prior to joining Green Griffith, Ann was an associate at Leydig, Voit & Mayer, Ltd., where she also worked as a summer intern in 2010 and 2011. Ann was an undergraduate analytical chemistry research intern at Pfizer Global Research and Development and served as a researcher in the College of the Holy Cross Chemistry Department Undergraduate Research Program prior to attending law school.
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D.
Northwestern University Law Review, Associate Editor
College of the Holy Cross, B.A., chemistry, magna cum laude
College Honors Program
Ignatian Scholarship Recipient
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Registered Patent Attorney, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, No. 76,570
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Named in the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch list in Litigation – Intellectual Property and Litigation – Patent, as published by Best Lawyers®, 2021
- Selected as a “Rising Star” by IP Stars and Managing IP (MIP) Magazine, 2018-2020
- Named in the Illinois Rising Stars list, as published in Illinois Super Lawyers, 2017-2020
- Selected by peers as an Emerging Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law and Patent Law – Leading Lawyers Network, 2015-2020
- Lipocine Inc. v. Clarus Therapeutics, Inc., 19-00622-UNA (D. Del.) – (oral testosterone – JATENZO®)
- Dexcel Pharma Technologies Ltd. v. Takeda Pharm. Co. Ltd. et al., 16-4957-MLC (D.N.J.) – (lansoprazole delayed-release orally disintegrating tablets)
- Dexcel Pharma Technologies Ltd. et al. v. Apotex Corp. et al., 17‐2423‐SDW (D.N.J.) – Omeprazole DR Tablets, 20 mg (OTC)
- Dexcel Pharma Technologies Ltd. et al. v. Dr. Reddy’s Labs., Ltd. et al., 15‐8042‐ SDW (D.N.J.) – Omeprazole DR Tablets, 20 mg (OTC)
- Dexcel Pharma Technologies Ltd. et al. v. Sun Pharma Global FZE et al., 15‐8017‐SDW (D.N.J.) – Omeprazole DR Tablets, 20 mg (OTC)
- Horizon Therapeutics, LLC v. Par Pharmaceutical Inc., 17-05901-KM-MAH (D.N.J.) (glycerol phenylbutyrate – RAVICTI®)
- Horizon Therapeutics, LLC v. Lupin Ltd. et al., 17-5900-KM-MAH (D.N.J.) (glycerol phenylbutyrate – RAVICTI®)
- Horizon Therapeutics, LLC v. Lupin Ltd. et al., 15-7624-RBK-JS (D.N.J.) (glycerol phenylbutyrate – RAVICTI®)
- Horizon Therapeutics, LLC v. Lupin Ltd. et al., 16-4438-RBK-JS (D.N.J.) (glycerol phenylbutyrate – RAVICTI®)
- Lupin Ltd. et al. v. Horizon Therapeutics, LLC, IPR2017-00159, -01160 (glycerol phenylbutyrate – RAVICTI®)
- Par Pharmaceutical Inc. v. Horizon Therapeutics, LLC, IPR2017-01767, -01768 and -01769 (glycerol phenylbutyrate – RAVICTI®)
- Horizon Pharma AG et al. v. Watson Laboratories, Inc. – Florida, 13‐5124‐JEI (D.N.J.) (delayed release prednisone ‐ RAYOS®)
- Helsinn Healthcare SA et al. v. Cipla Ltd., 14‐427‐GMS (D.Del.) (palonosetron HCl injection ‐ ALOXI®)
- Horizon Pharma, Inc. et al. v. Par Pharm. Cos., Inc. et al., 12‐0393 (D. Del.) (ibuprofen and famotidine ‐ DUEXIS®)
- Merck, Sharp & Dohme Corp. et al. v. Cipla USA, Inc. et al., 13‐4017 (efavirenz ‐ Sustiva®)