Wendy M. Ward
With valuable insight gained from her former position as senior director of intellectual property at a generic pharmaceutical company — and deep experience litigating a range of complex issues — Wendy brings a rare combination of strengths to her intellectual property practice.
As Counsel at Green, Griffith & Associates, Wendy focuses her work on patent litigation and counseling related to pharmaceutical, veterinary, biotech and chemical products.
A significant portion of Wendy’s practice includes advising clients regarding pre-initiation evaluation of product candidates and formulation and implementation of both patent challenge and defense strategies. She has handled all aspects of federal litigation and appeals, including serving as “first chair” in contentious, complex cases and delivering oral arguments in both the Seventh Circuit and Federal Circuit. Wendy also has experience handling trade secret cases and other complex intellectual property matters.
Wendy’s approach is informed by her in-house experience, having worked hand-in-hand to strategize with senior executives in business development, research and development and regulatory compliance. This experience allows Wendy to anticipate her clients’ needs and provide focused, efficient service.
“We are trusted advisors for our clients because we take the time to learn and understand their business objectives, which in turn informs our advice,” says Wendy. “This allows us to offer recommendations to drive their overall business strategies, whether or not litigation ultimately plays a role. And if litigation does come to fruition, our technical backgrounds and depth of litigation experience places us head and shoulders above our competitors.”
In addition to her regular practice, Wendy also maintains an active pro bono practice in the Western District of Wisconsin. In 2015, she argued successfully on behalf of a pro bono client before the U.S. Supreme Court, setting a new 14th Amendment objective standard in a prisoner civil rights case.
Before law school, Wendy worked as a researcher in in the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, studying gene therapies in the treatment of retinoblastoma.
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude
Legal Internship, Western District of Wisconsin,
Judge Barbara Crabb
National Champion, Giles S. Rich Patent Law Moot Court
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S., medical microbiology
and immunology, with distinction
- State of Wisconsin Supreme Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- Registered Patent Attorney, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, No. 52,205
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management’s (IAM) Patent 1000 in Litigation, 2020-2021
- Named as an “IP Star,” Managing IP, 2018-2021
- Dane County Pro Bono Award, 2016
- Pro Bono Lifetime Achievement Award, Merchant & Gould, 2015
- Named as one of IP Stars’ “Top 250 Women in IP,” Managing IP, 2013-2015
- Boehringer Ingelheim v. Aurobindo Pharma et al., No. 15-5982 (D.N.J.) (ANDA for linagliptin tablets)
- Boehringer Ingelheim v. Aurobindo Pharma et al., No. 19-1172 (Fed. Cir.) (ANDA for linagliptin tablets)
- Par Pharmaceutical v. QuVa Pharma et al., No. 17-6115 (D.N.J.) (trade secret action regarding vasopressin for injection)
- Pharmgate LLC v. Zoetis, Inc., No. 17-1889 (D.Minn.) (represented vaccine manufacturer regarding patents for PCV2 vaccines)
- Glaxosmithkline PLC, et al. v. Hikma Pharm. Co., et al., No. 12-cv-1965 (D.N.J.) (505(b)(2) application for argatroban injection)
- Cadence Pharmaceuticals, Inc. et al. v. Paddock Laboratories LLC. et al., No. 11-CV-733 (D. Del.) (ANDA for acetaminophen I.V.)
- Cumberland Pharms. Inc. v. Paddock Labs., LLC, et al., No. 12-cv-619 (D. Del.) (ANDA for acetylcysteine I.V.)
- Cumberland Pharms. Inc. v. Perrigo Co., No. 12-cv-6327 (N.D. Ill.) (ANDA for acetylcysteine I.V.)
- Braintree Labs, Inc. v. Paddock Labs., Inc., No. 11-cv-4568 (D.N.J) (ANDA for sodium sulfate/potassium sulfate/magnesium sulfate osmotic laxative preparation)
- Allergan et al. v. Watson Laboratories-Florida, Sandoz, Inc., and Paddock Laboratories, Inc., No. 09-511-GMS (Consolidated) (D. Del.) (ANDA for trospium ER capsules)
- Purdue Pharmaceuticals et al v. Paddock Laboratories, Inc., No.09-666-KAJ and No. 10-129-KAJ (D. Del.) (ANDA for tramadol ER tablets)
- Eli Lilly & Co. v. Zenith Goldline Pharms., Inc., 364 F. Supp. 2d 820 (S.D. Ind. 2005) (ANDA for olanzapine tablets)
- In re: Rosuvastatin Calcium Patent Litigation, MDL No. 08-1949 (D. Del.) (ANDA for rosuvastatin calcium tablets)
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP et al v. Aurobindo Pharma Limited, Inc. et al., No. 07-810 (D. Del.) (ANDA for rosuvastatin calcium tablets)
- Forest Laboratories, Inc. v. Ivax Pharmaceuticals, Inc., et al., 438 F. Supp. 3d 479 (D. Del.) (ANDA for escitalopram tablets)
- Z Trim Holdings, Inc. v. Fiberstar, Inc., No. 07-CV-161 (W.D. Wis.) (patent infringement action regarding food additive)
- Z Trim Holdings, Inc. v. Fiberstar, Inc., No. 06-CV-361 (W.D. Wis.) (patent infringement action regarding food additive)
- The First Years Inc. et al v. Munchkin, Inc., No. 07-cv-00558 (W.D. Wis.) (patent infringement action regarding sippy cups)
- 3M Company v. Kerr Corporation, 07-cv-00087 (W.D. Wis.) (patent infringement action regarding dental fillers)
- ICON Health & Fitness, Inc. v. Horizon Fitness, Inc. et al., No. 08-cv-00026 (E.D. Tex) (patent infringement action regarding treadmills)
Speaking Engagements and Presentations
- “Presenting a Compelling Case: Is Dr. Morrow Right?”, Panelist, 10th Annual Appellate Practice Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education and the MSBA Appellate Practice Section, Minneapolis, MN, March 2016